The Village of Shirlington
4021 S. 28th St.
Arlington, Virginia 22206
Bouchaib Naji - Executive Chef
Beef Tower and Warm Goat Cheese
(With Micro Greens and Upland Cres,
Oranges and Raspberry Balsamic Vinaigrette)
1) 1 large Red Beet
2) 1 large Yellow Beet
3) 1/2 pint of fresh Raspberries
4) 1 minced Shallot
5) 1/2 tbs. Sugar
6) 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive OIl
7) 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinaigrette
9) Pinch of Salt and Pepper
10) Micro Greens or Field Greens
11) 1 Upland Cress or 4 leaves of Watercress
12) grilled small French Bread
13) 4 oz. Goat Cheese
14) Lemon Zest
15) chopped fresh Thyme
1) Boil both beets in salted water...making sure the water covers the beets for
about 45 minutes. Peel and discard the skin.
2) Use the food processor to blend raspberries. Then add balsamic vinegar, sugar
and proceed with olive oil. Adjust with salt and pepper.
3) Arrange micro greens in the center of the place. Slice both beets and place the
beets in the center of the greens so it forms a tower.
4) Pour in the raspberry vinaigrette and garnish with fresh raspberry and upland
5) Top the bread with goat cheese, lemon zest and chopped fresh thyme. Then grill
the bread for 1 minute on each side. Place on the sides of the plate.
Green Peppercorn and Pistachio
Crusted Filet of Beef Bordelaise
(With hen of the wood and lobster mushrooms, mild garlic
mashed potatoes, sauteed spinach and pinot noir reduction)
1) 8 oz. Filet Mignon
2) 1 tsp. Green Peppercorn
3) 1 minced Shallot
4) 1/4 tsp. chopped fresh Thyme
5) 1/2 cup ground Pistachio
6) 2 large Potatoes
7) 1/2 cup Cream
8) 1 tbs. Butter
9) Dash of Salt and Pepper
10) 1 cup of Pinot Noir or nice Red Wine
11) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
12) a small amount of Baby Spinach
13) Choped Mushrooms
14) Lemon Juice
1) Make a little circle in the middle of the filet with a sharp knife.
2) Mix the shallot, peppercorn, thyme with a little of extra virgin olive oil.
Then put the mixture inside the filet.
3) Season the filet with salt. Then rub the filet with pistachio and sear it on
both sides for about 4 minutes...2 minutes on each side.
4) Finish cooking the filet in a 350 degree oven for about 12 minutes. Then
remove the filet and deglaze the pan with red wine. Reduce the sauce to
almost half and saute the spinach with olive oil, lemon juice and season it
with salt and pepper. Saute the mushrooms.
5) Mash the potatoes. Add cream and butter to the mashed potatoes.
6) Put the potatoes on the plate then the filet and the mushrooms and the
7) Add the sauce on top of the filet.
Poached Figs and Melon Sorbet
with Vanilla and Red Wine Syrup
1) 4 to 6 fresh Black Mission Figs
2) 1 cup of Red Wine
3) 1/8 cup Sugar
4) 1 each Vanilla
5) 2 each Star Anise
6) 1 scoop of Melon Sorbet or Vanilla Ice Cream
7) Fresh Mint
1) Poach the figs in a red wine for about 15 to 20 minutes.
2) Remove figs...add sugar...and reduce to half.
3) Add vanilla and Star Anise and strain the sauce.
4) Serve the figs with the melon sorbet or french vanilla ice cream.
5) Drizzle with the red wine syrup.
6) Garnish with fresh mint.