"Recipes from the Chef's Kitchen"
513 23rd St.
Arlington, Virginia 22202
Pete Snaith - Executive Chef Bistro 7107
and also Chef/Owner Culinaria Cooking School (in Vienna, Virginia)
(Makes about 40)
1) 1 lb. Ground Pork
2) 2-3 Shallots (Onion) - finely chopped
(In the Philippines their Onions are more like a Shallot, a little milder than a Onion.)
3) 1 head of Garlic - finely chopped
4) 1 large Carrot - finely diced
5) 1 tsp. Paprika
6) 2 tsp. Sugar
7) Salt and Pepper to taste
8) 3 to 4 large Eggs - beaten until smooth
9) Lumpia Roll
1) Place the ground pork in a large bowl, add the shallots, garlic,
sugar and salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
2) Add 3 of the eggs at first and mix to combine. The mixture should be soft and thick.
Add the last egg if the mixture is dry
3) To make the lumpia rolls, place the lumpia wrappers on a flat work
surface in a
diamond shape with one corner pointing towards you.
Depending on the size of
the wrapper you are using, add several
tablespoons of the filling on the wrapper.
(DO NOT OVER FILL). Pick up
the corner closest to you and bring over the filling.
Fold the outside
corners towards the inside. Roll toward the outside corner and
either water or egg wash.
4) To cook, add one inch of oil to the pan, heat till 350 degrees and fry until crisp.
5) Drain on paper towels.
Spicy Squid in Coconut Sauce
(Serves 3 to 4)
1) 2 lbs. fresh Squid
2) 3 tbs. Cooking Oil
3) 1 small Onion - finely chopped
4) 4 cloves garlic - finely chopped
5) 1 One inch piece of Ginger - finely chopped
6) 1 Lime - juiced and zested (or Calamansi Juice if available)
7) 2 cups Coconut Milk
8) 2 tbs. Sugar or Palm Sugar
9) 4 to 6 Birds Eye or Thai Chilies (more if you like it spicier)
10) 2 Bay Leaves
11) 1 Lemon - juiced
12) Salt and Pepper to taste
1) Clean the squid by pulling the head and tentacles apart and
removing the cartilage.
2) Push out the hard “beak” in the center of the
tentacles and discard.
3) Peel off the outer skin and wash the squid well
under cold running water.
4) Cut into rings then set aside.
5) Place a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
6) Add the 2 tablespoons of the
oil and swirl to coat the pan.
7) Add the onions and cook for 2 to 3
minutes, or until softened.
8) Add the garlic and ginger and cook 1 to 2
9) Add the limejuice and zest, coconut milk, sugar, chilies and
10) Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat and let simmer while
you prepare the
11) Fire up your grill. While
waiting for the grill to heat up, pat dry the squid and place it
12) Drizzle with the remaining oil and squeeze the lemon juice
all over the squid.
13) Season the squid with salt and pepper to taste.
the grill is ready place the squid on the grill and cook about 1˝
side; do not over cook.
15) Remove from the grill. Remove the
sauce from the heat and add the grilled calamari;
toss to coat.