"Recipes from the Chef's Kitchen"
Poplar Springs Manor House Restaurant
9245 Rogues Rd.
Casanova, Va. 20159
Steven Bailey - Morning Sous Chef Far Left
Nathan Kirkpatrick - Afternoon Sous Chef Center Left
Maggie Yabs Suge - Pastry Chef Center Right
Ken Hughes - Executive Chef Far Right
Pan Seared Wild Caught Alaskan Halibut
with Corn Bacon Relish, Fresh Cilantro, Diced Red
Onion, Brunoised Red Pepper & Red Wine Vinegar
1) 7 oz. Hailbut
2) 2 oz. Corn Bacon Relish (see below for the recipe)
3) 4 Blistered Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes
4) 1 oz. Lemon Vinaigrette
5) 2 Bunches Mache
6) 3 Celery Root Chips
7) 3 Thinly sliced Watermelon Relish
8) Extra Virgin Olive Oil
9) Salt and Pepper
10) Canola Oil
1) Toss the cherry tomatoes in a bowl with Extra Virgin Olive Oil plus salt
and pepper. Lay the tomatoes on a sheet pan and bake at 450 degrees
for 10 minutes.
2) Heat a large saute pan with canola oil. Once the pan is hot, season the
fresh side of the fish (you will know that pan is hot when the oil starts to
dance in the pan). Place your fish flesh side down in the pan and lower
the heat. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until you start to see the edge of
the Halibut brown. At this point you flip your fish and place in a 450 degree
oven for about 4 minutes. Remove the fish from the oven and remove the
3) Using a mandolin, thinly slice the water melon radish and celery root. Fry
the celery root at 300 degrees until golden brown. Use the radish as a
The Corn Bacon Relish
1) Virginia White Sweet Corn
2) Fresh Cilantro
3) Diced Red Onion
4) Brunoised Red Peppers
5) Red Wine Vinegar
1) Remove corn from the cob.
2) Mince the cilantro.
3) Dice the red onion.
4) Brunoise the red pepper.
5) Add all the above ingredients to a bowl and add vinegar. Mix thoroughly.
Poplar Fresh Maine Lobster Salad
1) 4 oz. Fresh Lobster
2) 3 oz. Salsify
3) Salt and Pepper
4) 1 oz. Mayonnaise
5) Fresh Lemon Juice and zest to taste
6) 1/2 oz. Mache
7) 1/4 tsp. Whole Grain Mustard
8) 1/4 oz. Fresh Sweet Pea tendrils
9) 1/4 oz. Champagne Vinegar
10) Fresh Herbs
11) Lemon Cintronea
1) Cut the poached and cleaned lobster into nice size portions.
2) Take the salsify and peel the outer bark. Place in a bowl with water and
citrus to prevent browning.
3) In a bowl place the mayonnaise, lemon juice and zest, Champagne
Vinegar and whole grain mustard and whisk together.
4) Take a fine grater and grate the salsify into that bowl.
5) Add fresh herbs.
6) Combine with a spatula.
7) Once combined, place salsify into a mold that is at least 3" high and 2"
8) Place cut lobster onto the salsify.
9) Place on a plate and remove mold.
10) Garnish with mixture of the Mache and the Sweet Pea Tendril.
11) Top with lemon citronea.
Smoked Salmon Egg White Breakfast Sandwich
on Wheat Berry Bread
1) 4 oz. Smoked Salmon
2) 2 Egg Whites
3) 1 oz. Red Bell Peppers
4) 1 oz. Shallots
5) 1/2 oz. Capers
6) Wheat Berry Bread
7) Sliced Dill Havarti Cheese
8) Lemon and Basil Aioli
9) Apple Wood Smoked Bacon
1) Saute pepper and shallots and capers with butter until soft.
2) Add egg whites and stir until eggs are cooked.
3) Add cheese to egg mixture, set aside.
4) Heat a saute pan on high and sear salmon.
5) Take out bread and spread Aioli on both pieces.
6) Place Eggs and cheese on the bottom piece of the bread.
7) Add bacon and salmon.
8) Top bread and spray Panini Maker with pan-spray.
9) Place sandwich and press cook for 3 minutes or until golden brown.
10) Cut in half and serve with choice of fruit.
Businessman's Turkey Club
on Ciabatta with Vegetable Fries
1) 4 inch Square Ciabatta (Bread)
2) 2 tbs. Deli Sauce
3) Lettuce Mix (local)
4) 1 Heirloom Tomato (local)
5) 1 slice thick cut Bacon
6) 1/2 Avocado
7) 3 oz. slice Turkey Breast
8) Smoked Mozzarella
9) Root Vegetables such as Carrots, Yucca and Parsnips
10) Seasoned Flour
11) Frying Oil
12) Salt and Pepper
1) Take the Ciabatta and slice in half. Roast in an oven for 3 minutes at
2) Slice a tomato into 1/4 inch thick pieces.
3) Take the avocado and cut in 1/2 horizontally. Make 1/4 inch slices and
4) On a slicer cut 3 to 4 oz. of smoked turkey breast (or slice thinly by hand).
5) Take your lettuce and wash it in a sink and spin dry.
6) Once everything is ready to assemble, take the Deli Sauce and spread on
both sides of the bread. Then place lettuce on the bottom piece. Then
add the sliced turkey followed by the avocado slices. Then place the
bacon on the avocado slices, then the sliced tomatoes and finally top
with cheese and the other slice of the bread.
7) For the vegetable chips, take a peeler and start peeling the vegetables
in long strips. Once you have peeled all of them, get a bowl and place
flour inside. Then evenly coat each vegetable individually. Toss to get
off the extra flour.
8) Fry at 375 degrees for about 2 to 3 minutes.
9) Place in a large bowl and toss with salt and pepper.
Lemon Meringue Tart
The Tart Shell
1) 120 grams Soft Butter
2) 1 gram Salt
3) 80 grams Powdered Sugar
4) 26.5 grams Almond Flour
5) Vanilla to taste
6) 1 Whole Egg
7) 225 grams Cake Flour
1) Cream butter, salt and sugar with the vanilla and almond flour.
2) Add eggs and cake flour until smooth and emulsified.
3) Cool for 12 hours and sheet to desired size.
The Lemon Curd
1) 10 Eggs
2) 1 3/4 cups Sugar
3) 8 oz. of Butter
4) 1 1/2 cups of freshly squeezed Lemon Juice
1) Mix all the ingredients (except the butter) on a double boiler.
2) Cook until thick.
3) Add the butter and whisk all ingredients.
4) Strain and let cool in a refrigerator.
1) 70 grams Egg Whites
2) 140 grams Sugar
3) Vanilla Extract to taste
1) In a kitchen aid bowl, whisk all the ingredients until thick.
2) Add more vanilla extract to taste.