The Caucus Room
401 9th St., NW
Market Square North
Washington, DC 20004
Executive Chef ...Martin Lackovic
Wilted Spinach Salad with
Roasted Beets, Smoked Bacon,
Goat Cheese Curd and Crispy Red Onion Rings
1) 4 oz. Cleaned de-stemmed Spinach
2) 2 oz. Smoked Bacon, Cut and Blanched
3) 4 Medium Beets, Roasted, Peeled and Sliced
4) 2 oz. Balsamic Vinegar
5) 4 oz. Olive Oil
6) 6 Grape Tomatoes, Halved
7) 1 Medium Red Onion, Sliced and Fried
8) 3 oz. Goat Cheese Curd
1) Sauté the bacon over medium heat until slightly crisp, not overcooked,
drain out most of the grease and quickly deglaze the pan with the balsamic
vinegar and remove from the heat.
2) Add the olive oil to the pan and stir well.
3) While the pan is still warm add the vinaigrette to the spinach in a large
bowl and toss to coat the spinach well.
4) Season with salt and pepper and toss in the beets and grape tomatoes.
5) Place the salad in a bowl and garnish with the goat cheese curd and the
crispy red onion rings.
Pan Seared Skate Wind on a
Chive Cream served with Potato
Gnocchi tossed with Clams and Spring Vegetables
1) 8 oz. Skate Wing, Skinned and Boned
2) 4 bunch Chives
3) 16 oz. Heavy Cream
4) 6 oz. Potato Gnocchi
5) 12 Little Neck Clams
6) ˝ Zucchini, Peeled and Small Dice
7) ˝ Yellow Squash, Peeled and Small Dice
8) 1 Small Turnip, Peeled and Small Dice
9) 2 oz. White Wine
10) 2 oz. Butter
11) Salt and Pepper
1) Bring the cream to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes, place the cream in a
blender with the chives and blend until smooth.
2) Get a non-stick pan hot and coat with a small amount of oil, lightly flour
the skate and sauté in the pan until lightly brown on each side, remove from
the pan and keep warm in a 150 deg. F oven.
3) Drain any oil out of the pan and add the butter until it sizzles.
4) Add the vegetables and sauté briefly, add the clams and the white wine and
cover to allow the clams to open.
5) Remove from the heat and separate the clam meat from the shell and add
the meat back to the pan.
6) Sauté over medium heat.
7) While the clams and vegetables are finishing cook the gnocchi in salted
water until they float and scoop them directly into the clam pan.
8) Toss briefly and set aside,
9) Pool the chive sauce in the middle of a large plate and arrange the gnocchi
and clams in the middle.
10) Place the skate wing around the gnocchi and garnish.
Fresh Berries with a Marsala
1) In a mixing bowl...gently mix the berries and place in a serving bowl.
2) In a Zabaglione bowl add the egg yolk, sugar and marsala wine.
3) Place the bowl over a medium heat and whisk vigorously until stiff foam
4) Spoon the Zabaglione over the berries and serve immediately.