Executive Pastry Chef David Guas
Roulade with Vanilla Roasted
Pineapple and Mint Syrup
(Serves 6 to 8)
1) 4 Egg Yolks
2) 1 1/2 oz. granulated Sugar
3) 4 Eggs - White
4) Another 1 1/2 oz. granulated Sugar
5) 3 oz. All-purpose Flour - sifted
1) In the bowl of an electric mixer...combine egg yolks and 1 1/2 oz. of
sugar on high speed with the balloon whisk attachment for 5 minutes.
2) In a separate bowl, combine egg whites with the other 1 1/2 oz. of sugar
on high speed with ballooon whisk attachment for about 2 to 3 minutes,
until the whites are stiff but not dry.
3) With a rubber spatula, fold stiffened whites into yolk mixture in two
steps. Then fold in flour.
4) Spread mixture onto a greased baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
5) Bake in a 400 degree oven for 3-5 minutes or until light golden brown.
6) Remove from oven and allow to cool.
1) 1 1/4 cup Coconut Milk
2) 1/4 cup Sugar
3) 1/2 Vanilla Bean
4) 1/4 cup Milk
5) 2 tbs. Cornstarch
6) 1 tsp. Butter
7) 5 Egg Yolks
1) Combine coconut milk, sugar, and vanilla bean in a small saucepan and
2) Combine milk with cornstarch to make a slurry. Whisk that slurry into
the warm coconut milk and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
3) Temper in egg yolks and return to stove. Whisk over medium heat for
about 5 minutes until starch is cooked out.
4) Pour cream into a food processor and blend on high for about 6-8
minutes. Add butter and blend for another minute.
5) Pour hot cream mixture onto a metal pan and press plastic wrap against
the cream so a skin does not form.
6) Refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight.
Cream Cheese Icing
1) 12 oz. of Butter - softened
2) 1 lb. Powdered Sugar - sifted
3) 1 lb. Cream Chese - softened
4) 3/4 tsp. Coconut Extract
1) In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine butter and cream cheese.
2) Cream together on medium speed with the paddle attachment for about
3) Slowly add powdered sugar and coconut extract and continue to cream
mixture for another 5 minutes or until icing is smooth.
4) Reserve icing in an airtight container.
5) Leave at room temperature for decorating cake.
1) 2 Whole Pineapples - trimmed and diced
2) 1/2 Vanilla Bean
3) 1 Cinnamon Stick
4) 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
1) Combine sugar, vanilla bean, and cinnamon stick in a 2-quart saucepan.
2) Cook over high heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until the sugar begins
to liquefy and caramelize.
3) Once sugar has achieved a nice dark amber color, add diced fresh
pineapple and stir.
4) Continue to cook on low to medium heat for about 20 minutes.
5) Reserve warm.
1) 1/2 cup Mint Leaves
2) 2/3 cup Light Corn Syrup
3) 1/4 tsp. Peppermint Extract
1) Bring one quart of water to a boil. Fill another bowl with ice water.
2) Blanch mint leaves in boiling water for 15 seconds. Drain and shock
in ice water.
3) Remove mint from water and pat dry.
4) Combine corn syrup and mint and puree in a blender.
5) Let syrup sit for 20-30 minutes.
6) Strain syrup and add extract.
of the above items
1) Spread chilled pastry cream evenly over the sponge cake and begin
rolling from the wider side. Roll as tightly as possible.
2) With an offset spatula, spread room temperature icing evenly over
3) Garnish top of roulade with toasted coconut.
4) Slice the roll into about 6 or 8 slices..
5) Place slice on the middle of a plate and garnish with the warm pineapple
and mint syrup.