Carla Hall - Chef/Caterer
Carla Hall with Lindsey Gustin
Spring Pea and Mint Soup
1) 1 Leek - roughly chopped
2) 1 Onion - roughly chopped
3) 2 Ribs Celery - roughly chopped
4) 2 to 3 cups Chicken or Vegetable Stock
5) Bouquet Garni (1 sprig Thyme, 2 Bay Leaves, 1 sprig Mint)
6) 2 cups Peas - frozen or fresh
7) 3 Lettuce Leaves - Green Leaf or Romaine
8) Salt and Pepper to taste
9) Peas and Mint for garnish
1) Saute leeks, onion and celery until soft.
2) Add chicken stock and the bouquet garni. Bring the stock to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes.
Add peas. Simmer for 10 minutes and remove from the heat.
3) After the soup cools, puree batches in a blender. As the soup is pureed, add torn pieces of
lettuce to keep the soup green.
4) Adjust seasoning.
5) Garnish the bowls of soup with peas and mint.
Mock Vegetable Nori Rolls
with Mirin Teriyaki Dipping Sauce
1) 1 cups Forbidden Rice
2) 1 3/4 cups Water or Chicken Stock
3) pinch of Salt
4) 1/2" fresh Ginger Root
5) 1 sprig Rosemary
6) 1/2 tsp. fresh Ginger - grated
7) 1/2 Lime - zested
8) 2 Zucchini - thinly sliced lengthwise
9) 2 Yellow Squash - thinly sliced lengthwise
10) 1 Red Pepper - roasted and peeled
11) Chives for garnish
12) For the dipping sauce...equal parts Mirin and Teriyaki Sauce
1) Prepare the rice per the package and add the 1/2" ginger and rosemary.
2) Let the rice cool and add the grated ginger and lime zest. Set the rice aside.
3) Brush the sliced zucchini and yellow squash with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4) Saute the squash in a hot pan until just pliable. Do not overcook. Set aside.
5) Cut the roasted pepper in strips. Set aside.
6) To assemble the "nori" rolls, lay the squash on a cutting board and place a piece of pepper
at the end of each piece of squash. Place a small amount of rice on top of the pepper. Roll
the squash up with the rice and pepper.
7) Secure the "nori" roll with a chive.
8) Serve with dipping sauce.
Baby Romas stuffed with Guacamole
1) 2 ripe Avocadoes
2) 1/2 tsp. crushed Garlic
3) 1/2 Lime - juiced
4) 2 tbs. Cilantro
5) 2 drops Tabasco Sauce
6) Salt and Pepper to taste
7) 24 Baby Roma Tomatoes
1) Remove the flesh of the avocado from the skin. Mash with a fork, keeping some pieces chunky.
2) Add the remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
3) Cut the bottom of the tomatoes flat so they do not roll on the tray. Then cut the tops off.
Scoop out the flesh.
4) Stuff the tomatoes with the guacamole. Garnish with peppers or cilantro.