Brie Stuffed French Toast
This recipe is on page 52 from the cookbook "Food Channel Best of the Best of"
It is adapted from a recipe at the Green Valley Inn...Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
1) 1 stick sweet unsalted Butter
2) 1/2 cup Walnuts - chopped
3) 2 Bananas - sliced
4) 1/4 cup Banana Liqueur (optional)
5) 1 pint real Vermont Maple Syrup
6) 2 cups Half and Half
7) 2 tbs. ground Cinnamon
8) 2 tbs. pure Vanilla Extract
9) 4 whole Eggs (not beaten)
10) 1/2 cup Sugar
11) pinch Salt
12) 8 pieces Challah Bread
13) 1/4 wheel Double Cream Brie Cheese - cut into 8 thin pieces
(The Syrup Mixture)
1) In a medium-hot pan, melt 4 tablespoons of butter. After the butter melts
but before it starts to brown, add the walnuts.
2) Reduce heat to medium and lightly cook the walnuts until you begin to
smell the aroma of the toasted nuts.
3) Add the bananas to the walnuts. Then cook approximately 3 to 5 minutes
or until the bananas begin to caramelize.
4) Remove the pan from the heat. Very important...do not add liqueur to the
pan if it is still on the burner. If using the banana liqueur, add it now to
the pan and return it to the heat. If the pan is hot enough, let most of
the liquid evaporate until removing from the heat.
5) Add maple syrup and set aside in the serving container.
1) Combine the half and half, cinnamon, vanilla, eggs, sugar and salt in a
shallot bowl. Stir vigorously to combine cinnamon with the mixture.
2) Dip challal bread into egg mixture, turning to be sure bread soaks up liquid.
3) Heat pan to medium. Melt 1 tablespoon butter. After the butter has melted
and before it begins to brown, add 2 slices of bread to the pan.
4) Add approximately 30 to 45 seconds, turn over 1 slice and place the Brie on
the cooked side of the challah.
5) Place the other piece of challah bread on top of the Brie (uncooked side
still facing up). Add more butter if necessary.
6) Cook another minute, turn over, and cook 1 more minute.
7) Continue with the remaining bread and cheese in the same manner.
Place on plate, spoon the syrup mixture on top, and enjoy!