Southern Boy Cakes
Marion Anderson - Chef
Lemon Bundt Cake
Yield 1 Bundt/Tube Cake or 2 Loaf Pans
1) 1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted Butter, at room temperature
2) 3 cups granulated Sugar, divided
3) 6 extra-large Eggs, at room temperature
4) Zest (1 Lemon )
5) 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
6) 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
7) 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
8) 1 cup Buttermilk, or Crème Fraîche at room temperature
9) 1 teaspoon Vanilla Bean Paste
10) 1 teaspoon Lemon Extract
11) Optional Glaze:
a) 1 cup Confectioners' sugar, sifted
b) 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed Lemon Juice
c) Lemon Zest
1) Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Spray bundt pans with baking spray.
2) Cream the butter and granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted
with the paddle attachment for about 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
3) With the mixer on medium speed, beat in the eggs, one at a time, and the
lemon zest .
4) In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
5) In another bowl, combine the buttermilk or crème fraîche nmmm and vanilla
6) Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and
ending with the flour.
7) Put the batter in a bundt pan, smooth the tops, and bake for 1 hour and 30
minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
8) When the cake is done, let it cool for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes Take the
cake out of the pan and place them on a baking rack to finish cooling.
9) To glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest in a
bowl, mixing with a wire whisk until smooth.
10) Add a few more drops of juice, if necessary, to make it pour easily.
12) Pour over the top of cake and allow the glaze to dry.
13) Wrap well, and store in the refrigerator.
Lemon Pound Cake Parfaits
A ridiculously simple dessert, these Lemon Cake Parfaits
come together in a matter of minutes and are made with
lemon pudding, whipped cream and pound cake
Serving 6 Parfaits
1) 1 Pound Cake - cubed
2) 1 pound Strawberries
3) 1/2 pound Blueberries
4) 1/2 pound Raspberries
5) Lemon Pudding (see recipe below)
6) Whipped Cream (see recipe below)
1) Set out 6 stemless wine glasses (or similar container).
2) Place 1/2 cup pudding in the bottom of each glass.
3) Top with 1/2 cup cake cubes.
4) Top with a dollop of whipped cream .
5) Top with a spoonful of the berries.
6) You can make the pudding ahead of time but it is best to assemble
the rest just before serving.
Lemon Pudding Layer
1) 1 (3.4 oz.) instant Vanilla Pudding Mix (see recipe below)
2) 2 cups whole Milk
3) 1 cup Whipped Cream (recipe below)
1) Make pudding the according to package directions.
2) Fold in the whipped cream.
The Whipped Cream
1) 3 cups cold Heavy Cream - chilled
2) 6 tablespoons Confectioner Sugar (Powdered Sugar)
3) 1 1/2 teaspoon pure Vanilla Extract or Vanilla Bean (split lengthwise with a knife)
1) Make sure your cream is well chilled. This will help the cream whip quickly and
will increase its volume.
2) Important: Chill the clean metal bowl of your stand mixer and the whisk
attachment in the freezer for 10 minutes. Your cream will whip faster is everything
is well chilled.
3) In a chilled bowl, whip the cream until it just starts to thicken, approximately 2 to
Grilled Pound Cake & Peaches
Serving 6 Helpings
1) 1 1/2 sticks unsalted Butter, divided use
2) ½ cup Honey
3) ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
4) ¼ teaspoon freshly ground Nutmeg
5) ⅛ teaspoon Salt
6) 6 Freestone Peaches, halved and pitted
7) 6 slices pound cake, sliced ¾-inch thick
8) Ice Cream of your choice
1) Melt the ½ stick of butter in the microwave and set aside for now.
2) In small saucepan over medium heat, combine the remaining 1 stick of butter,
honey, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Heat until butter is melted, then dip peach
halves in the mixture.
3) Grill the peaches for 5 minutes, then flip them, cover, and grill for 5 more minutes.
Carefully remove them from the grill, slice each peach half in quarters and cover
to keep warm.
4) While the peaches are on the grill, continue to heat the honey butter mixture until
thick and caramelized, about ten minutes. It will get thicker once it cools down,
so err on the side of caution. If you find it's too thick, add some cream or milk and
heat it to loosen it back up.
5) Once the peaches are off the grill, brush both sides of each pound cake slice with
the melted butter. Grill them for about 2 minutes per side, until the slices are crisp
6) Top the grilled poundcake with grilled peaches, cold ice cream, warm honey-butter
sauce, and swoon.
The Pound Cake Alone