1) Canola Spray for greasing
2) 1 cup Canola oil
3) 1 1/2 cups Sugar
4) 3 large Eggs
5) 3 tsp. Baking Powder
6) 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
7) 1 tsp. Cinnamon
8) 2 cups Flour
9) 1 cup Milk with 1 tsp. Vinegar mixed in
10) 1 cup chopped Walnuts
11) Syrup (see recipe below)
1) Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 9x13-inch baking pan.
2) In a mixer at medium speed, beat together oil and sugar, for about
3 minutes until well mixed.
3) Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4) Add baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and cloves, mixing well.
5) On lowest speed of mixer add flour and milk alternately.
6) Stir in nuts and pour batter into prepared pan.
7) Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the
center comes out clean.
8) Cool in pan on a wire rack.
9) Cut into diamond shapes.
10) Pour hot syrup over cooled cake.
11) Let cake sit for several hours so all the syrup is absorbed well.
12) Remove and put in cupcake papers if desired.
1) 2 cups Sugar
2) 2 sticks Cinnamon
3) 1 cup Water
4) 1 tsp. Lemon Juice
1) Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
2) Boil on medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring constantly.
Roasted Red Pepper
& Walnut Spread
(Serves 4 to 6...Makes 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups)
1) 1 cup shelled Walnuts
2) 4 to 5 slices stale (2 day old) White Bread, crusts removed,
processed to breadcrumbs
3) 4 ripe Red Bell Peppers (ribs, seeds, removed) charred OR
4 (jarred) fire roasted canned Red Peppers,
4) 3 to 4 cloves of Garlic - finely chopped
5) Sea Salt
6) 2 tbs. freshly squeezed Lemon Juice
7) 6 tsp. Brown Sugar
8) 6 tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1) To dry roast the nuts...heat a skillet over medium heat, add walnuts,
and dry roast for about 4 minutes, shaking the pan so the nuts do
2) Remove from heat and let cool.
3) Place the walnuts in a food processor and process to breadcrumb
4) Add breadcrumbs and process or pulse a few times.
5) Tear the red bell peppers into pieces and add.
6) Add garlic, salt to taste, lemon juice, brown sugar, and olive oil.
7) Blend well until a rough (not smooth) paste is formed.
8) Transfer paste to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until serving.