Frenchie's Handmade Pastries
Erica Skolnik - Baker/Owner
Cranberry Upside Down Cake
(yield one 9-inch cake)
1) 8 oz. Unsalted Butter
2) 1 cup dark Brown Sugar
3) 2 cup Cranberries
4) Zest of 1 Orange
5) 2 large Eggs
6) 1 cup Pumpkin Puree
7) 6 tbs. Vegetable Oil
8) 1 ½ cups All Purpose Flour
9) 1 cup Sugar
10) 1 ½ tsp. Baking Powder
11) 1 tsp. Cinnamon
12) A pinch of Nutmeg
13) ¼ tsp. Salt
1) Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and line the bottom of a 9-inch
2) Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low-medium heat. Add the
brown sugar and mix until smooth. Place the brown sugar mixture
in the bottom of the prepared pan.
3) In a separate bowl toss the cranberries and orange zest together.
Place them on the butter mixture, in the bottom of the prepared pan.
4) In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, pumpkin
puree, and oil. In another bowl sift the flour, baking powder,
cinnamon and salt.
5) Mix the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture. Then carefully
pour the batter into the pan.
6) Bake the cake for 35 minutes or until the skewer comes out clean.
Let cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then invert on to a serving plate.
7) Let cool completely and serve with whipped cream or a scoop of
your favorite ice cream.