1226 36th St. N.W.
Zoe Behrens - Pastry Chef
Tarte au Fromage Blance
Serves 8-10 people
(yield 2 tarts)
1) ¾ cup toasted Nuts
2) 1½ cups Flour
3) ¼ cup Sugar
4) ¼ tsp. Salt
5) 1 stick unsalted Butter - cold
6) 1 Egg Yolk - cold
7) 1 tbs. Heavy Cream - cold
1) In a food processor pulse the toasted nuts with ½ cup of the flour until coarsely chopped.
2) Add the remaining flour, sugar, and salt and pulse once to blend.
3) Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the dry ingredients.
4) Pulse until the mixture is a little larger than sand.
5) Add the egg yolks and cream and pulse again until just mixed.
6) Dive the dough in two and use both immediately or wrap half in plastic and freeze for later
use. Sprinkle the dough on a greased tart pan. Press onto the bottom and sides to create
an even crust. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
7) Bake at 425 for about 20 minutes or until a deep brown.
1) 2/3 cup Cream Cheese
2) ½ cup Goat Cheese
3) 1 cup Sour Cream
4) 1 cup Sugar
5) juice of 1 Lemon
6) 2 Eggs
1) All of ingredients must be at room temperature
2) Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, mix the goat cheese, sour cream, cream
cheese, and sugar together on low speed until smooth. Add the eggs and lemon and mix
3) Pour the filling into the pre baked shell and bake at 250 degrees for about 30 minutes.
It is done when the filling is set, similar to a cheesecake. Chill until ready to serve.
4) When ready to serve cut into as many pieces as needed, and brûlée each piece separately
The Port Vanilla Sauce
Yield: about 1½ cups
1) 3 cups Port
2) ¾ cup Sugar
3) ½ tsp. Anise Seeds
4) ½ tsp. Black Pepper
5) ½ Vanilla Bean
1) Simmer all ingredients in a small heavy based pot with high sides.
2) Reduce to a syrup consistency.
Peach and Cherry Galette
The Galette Dough
1) 3 cups AP Flour
2) 1 ½ tsp. Sugar
3) ½ tsp. Salt
4) 18 tbs. Butter
5) 2/3 cups Ice Water
1) Special equipment: Six, 4” flan rings greased on a pan with greased parchment paper.
2) Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer.
3) Add 6 Tablespoons of butter and mix on medium speed until the texture of sand.
4) Add the remaining butter and mix on medium speed until the butter is pea sized.
5) Add the water and mix until the dough comes together.
6) Refrigerate for at least one hour.
7) Cut into six 2 ½ ounce pieces and form into the sprayed rings. You will have left over
dough, refrigerate or freeze for another time.
8) Refrigerate until ready to use.
The Peach and Cherry Filling
1) 5 ½ cups Peaches - peeled, pitted, and sliced
2) 1 cup Cherries - pitted
3) ¼ Vanilla Bean - scraped
4) ½ cup Cornstarch
5) 2 tsp. Lemon Juice
6) 1/3 – ½ cup Sugar
1) Mix all ingredients together.
2) Taste to see if more sugar is needed.
3) Distribute filling between each galette.
1) 3 tbs. melted Butter
2) ¼ cup raw Sugar
3) Apricot Jam
4) Vanilla Ice Cream
5) The Galette Dough
6) The Peach and Cherry Filling
1) Fold the dough around the peach and cherry filling. Brush the dough with the butter
and sprinkle with the raw sugar.
2) Bake at 425 degrees until deep golden brown.
3) Cool slightly before removing rings.
4) Brush with apricot jam.
5) Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Pastry Chef Zoe Behrens (left) and
Lindsey Gustin (right) at the studio